Saturday, October 13, 2012

Beat Colored WIP-Sidney

I'll shrink him down a bit in the final piece so his sword doesn't tangent. I went for a cell shaded look. I might soften some of the turning edges, but I really like the crispness.

Anyways, what do you guys think about the colors? Any suggestions for the background? I'm struggling with that and the shadow.

Thanks for your help guys (especially Chris!)! I really appreciate it!
-Sidney

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing wrong with cel-shaded. In fact some of my favorite pieces of art, be it still or game, etc. are cel-shaded. But right now this piece is hovering a little in the middle of cel-shaded and not. Push it one way or the other. Chris's advice in the above post are good. I'd say if you're going for a character piece, then don't rely on a background. It's that same issue of straddling a character piece and a composition with a character in it. Pick one or the other completely I'd say. If you do choose a character piece, then let's have him fill up the page more. You can just do some color washes for a background then, but nothing to fill up the page or distract from the central figure. Keep the overall look of the character - that can work out just fine. You've got 80% of his identity in there. Adjusting the pose or facial expressions really won't be too much more I don't think. If you really think you need an extra day or two, then talk to Chris about it. He'd said the whole process might take that day or two anyway, so use it to your advantage if you can. But make the most of it. It'll be worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete