The backs of people's heads are often not the most interesting thing to look at. It's fine if you still choose to do so, especially if it fits best with the story. But make sure the rest of the piece has enough detail and attention to compensate for the absence of a face.
Paige, this is a fantastic composition. There is a lot of compassion for his village in this piece. The main critique I would give is that his back is facing us. Maybe if you rotated him a little more and showed us part of the side of his face so we could see his eyes looking the village, that would improve it. Also, I wonder if you could rearrange the mountains a little so that they point more to the village. You might want to make the Yeti King a little bigger too so he frames the village more. Once you color it, you're also going to have to focus a lot on atmospheric perspective.
Now, that I look at it again, I wonder if you would want to draw it wider. You would need to turn the page 90 degrees to see it properly, but it may be the best way to make the composition work. Why don't you experiment with that?
Going from James's suggestion of a wider piece - http://theanthologyproject.tumblr.com/post/4348215167/joy-ang-process If you look at the start, you can see how the artist works with the page layout to print a two-page spread for their illustration. The picture shows the full bleed area around the two pages, so the full bleed area between the two would be copied from the print area of the opposite page.
The backs of people's heads are often not the most interesting thing to look at. It's fine if you still choose to do so, especially if it fits best with the story. But make sure the rest of the piece has enough detail and attention to compensate for the absence of a face.
ReplyDeletePaige, this is a fantastic composition. There is a lot of compassion for his village in this piece. The main critique I would give is that his back is facing us. Maybe if you rotated him a little more and showed us part of the side of his face so we could see his eyes looking the village, that would improve it. Also, I wonder if you could rearrange the mountains a little so that they point more to the village. You might want to make the Yeti King a little bigger too so he frames the village more. Once you color it, you're also going to have to focus a lot on atmospheric perspective.
ReplyDeleteNow, that I look at it again, I wonder if you would want to draw it wider. You would need to turn the page 90 degrees to see it properly, but it may be the best way to make the composition work. Why don't you experiment with that?
ReplyDeleteThese are all great suggestions! I was worried about not showing his face as well, so thanks for the tip. Good luck with your pieces!
ReplyDeleteGoing from James's suggestion of a wider piece -
ReplyDeletehttp://theanthologyproject.tumblr.com/post/4348215167/joy-ang-process
If you look at the start, you can see how the artist works with the page layout to print a two-page spread for their illustration. The picture shows the full bleed area around the two pages, so the full bleed area between the two would be copied from the print area of the opposite page.