Monday, September 24, 2012

Illustration


I'm so glad we have until october. I'm hoping to mess around some more with this. some things I'm not sure about, can't decide whether compositionally, the undulating or straighter hose works better. The straighter one gives a better sense of weight and I think more solidity to all the organic shapes around it. but the curvy one fits as well. any opinions? actually, any suggestions compositionally would be welcome.  I have too much drawing the eye up and off the page (hose, light fish etc.) - I originally designed this to have text at the top, so now w/out text it isn't working so well.  also worried I'm getting too dark.  Critiques are welcome!

3 comments:

  1. i really dig where this is going. I will try and do a paintover tonight to visually show what my suggestions would be, but the undulating hose is my preference, and your composition is already set up to redirect the viewers eyes back to the subject. I would just push it a bit more. Honestly this looks fantastic, and i love the hippocamp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I favor the undulating cord.
    As far as the composition - it looks really nice! The fish are cool in the background. The overall effect is humorous because of the flat staging between the fish and the cat. I don't know what's really going on in this story, but I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boston, all that painting of fish in Nazareth sure has paid off! I also favor the undulating cord. Maybe accenting some of the fish closer to the foreground a bit more would help in creating depth but also leading the eye back down again. Or maybe accenting some ridges or flora on what I presume to be the sides of an underwater trench. Nothing drastic or competitive to the main characters, but a little touch here and there. Looks great though. Catfish and Seahorse. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete