So here's version 2 of Beat Hoven. Background Info: Beat Hoven enjoys the latest remixes and can name all the famous DJs. He's very proud of his techno music knowledge, but doesn't overbear people with it. He's obviously the cool kid at the DJ school. However, he isn't doing so hot in history because despite being named after a famous composer, he hates learning about "the old composers". He just can't see how classical music relates to the beat and loop driven techno music of the future.
So Yeah.... CRITIQUE AWAY!
Thanks to those who critiqued my last post. ;)

Sydney, I love your story idea - almost another high-school super-hero drama, but from a cool angle. I love the idea of music being something... more... not sure if that makes sense.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, your character design is much better than before. Personally I think the color scheme works better than the orange and green - not that the orange and green can't work, I just don't think you executed it as well. Also, I think that you've improved in your gesture as well. Although, it's not a great improvement. He's still more or less static. His shoulders, hips and almost his eyes are all parallel. Think about the old masters' work. Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, etc... the gesture and weight they put into their work was what brought them to life - it forced the bodies into juxtaposed angles. Parallel lines are great if you're going for a moment of strength and confidence (Batman and superman are often drawn with that kind of pose), but I wouldn't suggest you use that here. -then again, I realize this is just a character design...
as far as design is concerned - depending on the level of detail you're going for, I would maybe take some time to design each accesory/element of your character separately. This is a great idea, in my opinion, if you're planning a comic for two reasons: 1. it helps you to be able to draw the item from any angle, on or off your character, and 2. it adds appeal. Even if the piece has no detail at all, i believe the attention to it can be felt by the viewer and it has a higher sense of quality to it.
Thanks for the critiques Matt. Designing each piece separately is a great idea especially since I'm envisioning Beat Hoven as a video game character. I agree the pose is still static, so thanks for the insights on gesture. Definitely something I need to work on.
ReplyDeleteThis looks so great! The coloring, with the semi-futurey glow and clothing really sets the scenario immediately.
ReplyDeleteI'm colorblind, so i always hesitate to make comments about color. But i would guess the background brown/green color isn't the best to use right up against the light blue of your logo. In the final stuff, make sure to continue to use that awesome, sketchy-brush line quality thing you've got going on in his design. It looks gorgeous.
Keep it up!